Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Jazz Signing Bell is another Great Move.

The Jazz continue to impress me with their offseason moves. Raja Bell coming to Utah is another great move. He gives them veteran leadership, defensive toughness, and someone that is not afraid to knock people around. He has played in Utah before so he knows the system. He can shoot the 3 and will come significantly cheaper than Wesley Mathews. I love Mathews but I love the fact that the Jazz are willing to call Portland's bluff and will likely now let him go. I loved watching Matthews last year and I'll be sad to see him move on but I don't think he'll be as effective outside the Jazz's system and Portland is showing its stupidity by woefully overpaying for him. It appears the Jazz will be getting Bell at roughly $3.3M per year whereas Portland is giving Matthews $32M over 5 years (which is crazy).

I loved the way Bell played for the Jazz in his previous stint. I especially remember the year he performed so well the year after Stockton and Malone left. The Jazz were supposed to win maybe 10 games that year yet ended up winning 41 and just missing the playoffs. Bell was a stud in PHX and was the only guy on that team willing to play defense.

The concern on Bell would be age. Is he too old now? Will he be as affective coming off of wrist surgery? He's 33 and will be 36 when his deal is complete. Nonetheless, the Jazz need a veteran. I think it is worth the risk.

No comments: