Sunday, July 4, 2010

Excited about Utah moving to the PAC 10

It has been a couple of weeks since the Utes officially joined the PAC 10 but I'm still excited about it. The thought of having a home schedule full of PAC 10 teams and the opportunity to compete at the highest level makes me as excited as I've ever been about Utah athletics.

The week leading up to the official announcement drove me nuts. I was constantly checking the internet to see what was going on and at one point and I really got to the point where I thought the PAC 12 was absolutely dead and I thought our only chance was to be the last spot in the new PAC 16. That would have been a good thing too but I think the way it worked out gives Utah a much better chance to be competitive right off the bat.

I think the local (Utah) media did an absolutely horrible job of covering this story. The only insight that was given was from another source (mostly from the Texas Rivals home site Orangeblood.com). The local writers that have the job of covering Utah had no idea what was going on which was extremely disappointing. At least the local radio shows (1320 KFAN and 1280 the Zone) covered the story in great detail and gave it the attention it deserved prior to the official announcement. However, the local papers were extremely disappointing in the amount of coverage it gave the story and the insight provided. They were clueless. I had more information from just searching the internet than they reported.

I've been surprised at how bitter the byu fans have been over all of this. I expected them to be disappointed but the level of bitterness has exceeded my expectations. Most seem to have the "it should have been us! We deserved it" mentality. It is almost like a girl pouting because the boy she had a crush on asked someone else to the dance. I truly think the byu ends up in the Big 12 within the next few years but with the way that conference shares its revenue is not as advantageous of a situation as the PAC 10.

The other rationalization I hear from the byu fans is that Utah will be sorry it left because they will just be lucky to win 6 or 7 games in the PAC 10? Aren't those providing this argument insulting their own school and conference? All I hear is how the MWC is on par with the big boys and deserves a automatic berth into the BCS. If you truly believe that the MWC is legit than you should think that one of its top schools will be immediately successful in the PAC 10. In fact, you should hope for it because it would help legitimize the claim.

No comments: