Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Jazz are done but I'll enjoy the rest of the ride anyway

I hope I eat these words but I think the Jazz are done. They have finally met their match. The Spurs are far and away the best team in the league right now and they are playing like it. They are beating the Jazz at their own game. The Jazz have been competitive in spurts but the Spurs are able to turn it on and off as they please and do so as they see fit.

My prediction for the rest of the series is that the Jazz pull off a victory in Game 3 by riding the home court advantage to an emotional win. This will create a buzz to the series again but the Spurs will be back in full force in Game 4 and win a close one. They will then go home and close out the series in 5 games.

The Jazz have already exceeded expectation this year. Any win from this point forward is a bonus. It took Stockton and Malone about 7 years of playing together to get to the Western Conference Finals and it took them another five following that appearance to get to the Finals. What this young Jazz team has done already this year is remarkable. One of the fun things about this run is that I did not believe that the Jazz were capable of making it this far; especially the way they played at the end of the season. This is a lot more fun than expecting the team to get to this far and have them fall short which is what happened many times during the Stockton-Malone era in the early and mid 90s.

As Jazz fans I think it is important to enjoy this ride while it lasts. Rather than getting frustrated by the play and the inevitable result of this series, just enjoy the experience because it does not happen too often. As a Jazz fan I am going to take it "one game at a time." Any win from this point forward is simply a bonus. After they get one I'll hope for another but I am not looking beyond that first one. I'm simply going to enjoy the ride. Go Jazz!!!

No comments: